Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I've been asked several times recently, as happens this time of year, to reflect back to one of my memories of my dad. It's been hard to just pick one, because, unlike some of my siblings would lead you to believe, my childhood was a blessed one.

Were my parents perfect? No, that would be a mythical thing, the perfect parent. Mistakes were made, people got mad and upset, I even made my father cry a few times. The fact that he was man enough to show us he cared enough to be hurt by us was a very powerful thing.

I've learned many life lessons from my father. I thank him for each and every one. I would not be the person I am today, and I would not have survived some very terrible events in my life without that man and the things he taught me.

The two memories from childhood that most stick out to me are:
  • Sitting on my dad's lap in Papaw's pickup while he drove us to the hardware store, and the "discussion" they had about buying candy.
  • The much needed shoes he could have bought for himself but instead went a little longer without so I could get glasses. As much as I resented the glasses, the sacrifice did not go unnoticed.
I love you, Dad! I wish we lived closer so I could say this in person and hug you! For all the mistakes you think you made, I turned out OK. At least, that's what they keep telling me. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

The following comments are made by individuals who are not my spokespersons, mostly.