Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Silent Change

Today, I noticed a change. Let me be straight, I don't like change, even when it comes in the form of slow-motion to be hardly noticed. In fact, it is the slow-motion as to be hardly noticed until it is too late change I hate the most!

For about a year, the fellow who sold our two vehicles to us has been calling us daily with the "new incentives" GM has for existing owners. These ranged from simple coupons for cheaper oil changes to cash back for GM trade ins to the latest "recession incentives." (Recession incentives would be the "if you find yourself on hard times, the company agrees to make your car payment for 6/9/12 months and if you're still in hard times after that they will accept your vehicle back with no negative marks on your credit.") Every day! Sometimes twice if my husband or I were not available to take the call.

Now, I like Tony, the car dealer. I feel like in the three years we've done business with him that I've watched his kids grow through his pictures in his office. These calls seemed to expose a desperation for our business to continue, and up to last month, had our credit score been better, we may just have helped him out, just because he's been a great acquaintance. We do like helping out those in need, after all. It's part of what makes America a great place!

Today, I realized I hadn't heard from Tony in about a month. It didn't register because my life has been sort of (read: VERY) hectic as of late. (Story for another blog entry later.) But, as things sort of settle down enough for me to breathe, the calls' absence is deafening.

GM has to lower its debt burden and employee costs in the government restructure.

The possibility of Tony's dealership being closed down is looming over his head. Little wonder why the man has stopped being so forward with his business practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The following comments are made by individuals who are not my spokespersons, mostly.